Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook: 4.5 hours
Ready In: 9.5 hours
Ingredients (Serves 6-8):
- 1 (9-11 pound) Nolan Ryan Beef whole brisket
- 1 recipe Guajillo Pepper Paste (recipe below)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
Guajillo Pepper Paste Ingredients:
- 9 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 5 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 ½ cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ large onion, cut into chunks
- ½ tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rub the brisket all over with the guajillo pepper paste.
- In a large roasting pan, heat the oil over high heat and sear the brisket for about 5 minutes per side.
- Cover the roasting pan with foil and cook in the oven for 3 hours and 15 minutes.
- Transfer the brisket to a stockpot and add enough water to cover the brisket. Add the onion, garlic, bay leaves, vinegar and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Use two forks to pull the brisket apart and serve.
Guajillo Pepper Paste Directions:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: n/a
Makes: 2 cups
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the ancho and guajillo chiles and cook, pressing with a metal spatula and turning occasionally, until they blister, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the peppers to a medium saucepan and add the water, garlic, onion, oregano and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer until the peppers become tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Store the paste in a covered container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.