Keeping your Family Safe
Food Handling Tips
Some foods may contain bacteria that could cause illness if the product is mishandled or cooked improperly. For your protection, follow these safe handling tips.
- Wash hands thoroughly with hot, soapy water before preparing food and after handling fresh meat, fish or poultry.
- Keep meats refrigerated or frozen. Thaw in refrigerator (recommended) or microwave.
- Keep raw meat and poultry separate from other foods. Wash working surfaces (including cutting boards, utensils, and hands) with hot, soapy water after touching raw meat or poultry.
- Cook foods thoroughly to recommended temperatures.
- Never put cooked foods on the same platter that held raw foods.
- Discard leftover marinades that have come in contact with raw fish, meat or poultry.
- Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Refrigerate leftovers immediately or discard.